Friday, April 29, 2011

the bookworm.

Obvious statement of the day: I like to read. I've liked to read ever since...well, I learned how. (That was anti-climactic.) Anyway, I just thinking about this because something has come to my attention: I've read seven books since Saturday. I'm oddly proud of this fact. I guess when you don't have much else to be proud about, devouring books counts for something.

Anyway, part of the reason I've been reading so much this week is because it was TAKS week. For you non-Texas, TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) is a sort of torture device inflicted yearly upon school children. The tests are all insanely easy for anyone who knows how to read but also maddeningly boring, as you may expect. They make us stay in our classroom until 12:30 (we had 2 one-hour classes in the afternoon), even though everyone's finished by about 10:30 , and the only things you can do when you're done are read or sleep. Thus, I read. ;) I must note, too, that the freshmen only had one test ('mathematics' as they so formally call it) this week, but we had to remain in a 'testing environment' while the other grades tested, so that means even more reading time.

They've been books about murder trials and romance and adventures in the jungle. About a prison in the future and dreamers from the past. Books set in country manors in England and in the wild Amazon, and, oddly enough, two set in Switzerland. I've also read a magazine, National Geographic. Gotta love those photos.





I also read when I'm home, under the covers before bed or at the table with an afternoon snack, like a homemade smoothie. Delicious. Have I mentioned before how much I love those things? Peanut butter, chopped frozen bananas, chocolate powder, milk and ice cubes. Sounds kind of gross, but trust me, it's good. Perfect for breakfast or before soccer practice.






Also, I want to thank ya'll for all your sweet comments on my last post. It's always nice to know you're not the only one who feels like that, isn't it? They made me smile and a lot of you made some pretty good points, too. :)

Have a great day! See you later.

-Kendall

4 comments:

  1. Yes for book hungry girls! Over Easter I averaged a book a day, but this week I've only 'consumed' two books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would that book about a prison in the future be Incarceron by Catherine Fisher? If so, I'm reading that right now, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire- Why, yes, actually. That is the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love reading. You can quite often find my face buried in a book. I love National Geographic, too! After swooning over all of the beautiful photos, I long to travel.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.