Looking back on this year, it is a mosaic of ordinary moments that stands out. All the texts sent, football games attended, miles run, new friends met, volunteer hours racked up, hours spent babysitting, hours spent studying, books read, movies watched, musicals and plays attended, car rides, bus rides, plane rides, etc. etc. etc. Everything that happened, 525,600 minutes. Plus a little extra.
It was a good year. I lost some things, sure, but I've gained a lot of good experiences and I think I've learned a lot as a result.
And I suppose if I had to narrow it down, here are 12 things that stand out about 2012:
- I took part in launching Fernweh, along with some good friends.
- I started watching TV again and managed to get into Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, The Office, Parks and Rec, and Merlin...yes, it was a very productive year thank you very much.
- I went to L.A. for the first time during spring break...decided it was a little too big for me but still enjoyed people-watching at the Getty and reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower in the hotel room.
- I gave film photography a try and took a lot of pictures.
- I became a vegetarian (for the most part).
- I went to Spain, my first time in Europe since I was four, so basically in my memory.
- I went ziplining, a terrifying and exhilarating experience. Also, I went camping again which I hadn't done in a while.
- I went to camp in Florida and on the same trip, went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and rode a real roller coaster for the first time.
- I got my cartilage pierced rather spontaneously, just because.
- I joined cross country, which is not a thing I would have envisioned for myself a year ago at all, but I started running regularly, made new friends, and overall decided it was an A+ decision.
- I went to ACL, which was amazing.
- I got my driver's permit finally, and drove on streets for the first time.
Enjoy. Oh, and just so you're aware: it's 5 hours long. No regrets.
Goodbye, 2012. You were swell.
Here's to 2013.