Wednesday, November 09, 2011

nanowrimo excerpt #1

Feeling lazy, so you get this. It's kind of depressing. Then again, someone dies in the second chapter (*spoiler alert*) so it's kind of a recurring theme. There's that.

The choir sang “Amazing Grace” and I leaned forward so my hair covered my face. By the end, my mascara was running down my face in a spiderweb of black. Why had I worn makeup?

We rode in a limousine to the cemetery. It was nothing like the last time I rode in one, for Liz's fourteenth birthday party. There was no mini-fridge stocked with soda or radio blasting the latest hits. It was a quiet ride I spent staring out the window. I let my mom braid my hair, cherishing the way her nimble fingers wove in and out and grazed my neck. I shook it out when she finished, though, and she didn't protest.

There was a lot of standing around. Prayers were said and words were whispered and the coffin was lowered into the ground. It was only when I started to walk away that I realized I was shaking. It was more than shivering, though there was that, too. It was the ghosts of lives cut short, brushing up against me. I ran all the way back to the limo, on the pretense of being cold. It was the smell of death that scared me, though.

Ok, guiz, I worked sooooo hard on that so please don't steal my precious perfect work of art or I will prosecute you to the full extent of the law!!1!

Yeah no.

Current Word Count: 6,237
Yep. Yep. No, you don't have to tell me.

Kendall

7 comments:

  1. sounds good so far! I gave up on NaNo on day 3! keep writing girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing and wishing you tons of success with NaNoWrimo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually is a precious perfect work of art. You are very talented, Kendall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said earlier in the year that your grandmother died. Is this excerpt inspired by her funeral?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: A lot of it is made up, but a lot is drawn from my experiences, too. It's kind of a combination of that, and the other funeral I've been to, as well as a bunch of things just from my head. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.