Monday, December 31, 2012

twelve things in twenty-twelve

It's hard to sum up a whole year in a post. How do you decide, out of everything that happened in a year, what is important enough to mention? Certain things can be measured, or at least kept track of in some way (concerts gone to, planes taken, notebooks filled), while others cannot. Who's to say how much I laughed this year, or cried? Who's to say what, out of all that, really matters? 

Looking back on this year, it is a mosaic of ordinary moments that stands out. All the texts sent, football games attended, miles run, new friends met, volunteer hours racked up, hours spent babysitting, hours spent studying, books read, movies watched, musicals and plays attended, car rides, bus rides, plane rides, etc. etc. etc. Everything that happened, 525,600 minutes. Plus a little extra. 

It was a good year. I lost some things, sure, but I've gained a lot of good experiences and I think I've learned a lot as a result.  

And I suppose if I had to narrow it down, here are 12 things that stand out about 2012:
  1. I took part in launching Fernweh, along with some good friends. 
  2. I started watching TV again and managed to get into Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, The Office, Parks and Rec, and Merlin...yes, it was a very productive year thank you very much.
  3. I went to L.A. for the first time during spring break...decided it was a little too big for me but still enjoyed people-watching at the Getty and reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower in the hotel room.
  4. I gave film photography a try and took a lot of pictures.
  5. I became a vegetarian (for the most part).
  6. I went to Spain, my first time in Europe since I was four, so basically in my memory. 
  7. I went ziplining, a terrifying and exhilarating experience. Also, I went camping again which I hadn't done in a while.
  8. I went to camp in Florida and on the same trip, went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and rode a real roller coaster for the first time.
  9. I got my cartilage pierced rather spontaneously, just because.
  10. I joined cross country, which is not a thing I would have envisioned for myself a year ago at all, but I started running regularly, made new friends, and overall decided it was an A+ decision.
  11. I went to ACL, which was amazing.
  12. I got my driver's permit finally, and drove on streets for the first time.
And lastly...I made a playlist. It's songs that defined my 2012, with no exceptions. So, uh, it has The Smiths...and Justin Bieber, The Lumineers...and Billie Holiday. It's songs I jammed out to at concerts immediately followed by ones I sobbed to on my carpet. It doesn't always flow well, but hey, that's life; that's my year. A lot of the songs have specific moments attached (remember when the band played Sweet Caroline and we all sang along and swayed together and it felt like belonging; remember listening to Asleep every night before I fell asleep, for a few weeks at least; remember when All My Friends came on during Painting and then I went home and found it in my iTunes library). A lot of them just remind me of certain feelings, like pure happiness, or pure...unhappiness. Of wanting to go, and being happy to stay. Some of the songs I just like.

Enjoy. Oh, and just so you're aware: it's 5 hours long. No regrets.

 

Goodbye, 2012. You were swell.

Here's to 2013.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome year! :) Here's to an even better 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovelovelove this. Everything about it. It seems unfair to sum up your whole year in one word, especially as I was not the one who lived it, but it looks like you had an overall amazing year. Definitely memorable. I adore the playlist -- because it's a playlist of songs that describe your year, not songs that you particularly listen to often or love to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I love this post so much. It looks like 2012 treated you well! I hope 2013 is all you hope it to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing REM next to Call me maybe made me smile.
    Cartilage piercings are my favorite, nice spontaneous decision. Fernweh is amazing, great job with that.
    Your year sounds amazing, especially Europe.
    Have a nice start to 2013 and I'll see you around in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope twenty-thirteen goes well for you, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you. Be nice.